Image Map

Growing Succulents



Succulents were the first things I ever managed to grow in my garden without killing.  Now they're some of my favorite plants in my garden. I love that they come in so many colors and are so hardy that you can plant them almost anywhere, I even have a few growing in the gravel beside my driveway!

Here are a few tips to keep your succulents looking their best.

Pot them. You can plant them in the ground, but if there's a particularly harsh winter, they may not survive.  I like growing them in planters that I can bring inside through the winter months.

Use well draining soil.  I like to put a layer of small pebbles just underneath where I plant, that way I know there's sufficient drainage

Don't overwater.  Succulents don't need to be watered more than once a week, and if it's not too warm you can stretch that out to every two weeks. If you overwater them, they will get droopy, grow slower, and lose their colour

Give them lots of sunshine.  Succulents do not like shade, plant them or put their containers in full sun and they'll be happiest

Break them up. The best thing about succulents is how easy they are to reproduce, just snap a small piece off of the main plant, put it in some damp soil, and it will grow into a whole new succulent.

Happy planting.




1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful and I didn't know it was that easy to reproduce

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin