Image Map

My thoughts on World Breatsfeeding Week

Did you know that this week August 1st - 7th is World Breastfeeding Week?

I am very glad that this week exists. Im glad that there are people out there fighting for the rights of breastfeeding mothers. Im glad that this week has brought up discussions about whether or not supplying brand new moms in hospotals formula without them asking is the right thing to do.  Im happy to see the pride that mothers are taking in their breastfeeding relationships, but at the same time I have seen some people taking it beyond pride into something closer to "smug-ness". 


I am a huge supporter of breastfeeding, IF IT WORKS FOR YOU.   I am proud to say that i was able to breastfeed both of my girls for a total of over 20 months, but it wasnt easy. When Vanessa was 4 months old she was diagnosed with failure to thrive, and i had to start supplemeting formula, and taking supplements to help boost my supply. It didnt really help me though, and by the time she was eight months old, she was fully weaned from breastmilk.
I missed our breastfeeding relationship once it was over, but i have never felt guilty about making the decision to give her formula.   I am constantly coming across what has been labelled as "the mommy wars", and i find myslef thinking about how were all so quick to judge other peoples decisions.In my experience though, the world isnt black and white, and what works for me, may not work for you, and vice versa. 
So while were all taking the week to support breastfeeding families, I want to take a moment to just send out a huge hug to all the mommies in the world, whether they formula feed, breastfeed, cloth diaper, babywear, work, stay at home, whatever.
Kudos to the moms, who do what they do because it is whats right for them, their baby, and their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin